3/12/09

Emergency room trip!!!



          So, I finally started feeding Cash rice cereal for dinner. He did great with it the first two times and really even seemed to enjoy it. The third day he woke up with a really bad cough which I assumed came from a cold (I'm still not sure) but that night when I was feeding it to him he started acting funny. He was kind of doing a strange gulping noise and had a funny look on his face, so I stopped feeding it to him and just gave him a bottle to top him off. I had a strange feeling that he may be having some sort of reaction so while Ben fed him his bottle I got on the internet to check for allergy symptoms. Everything I read said the usual symptoms were red puffy eyes, hives, trouble breathing etc...etc...he did not have any of that so I thought I was just overreacting. Sure enough twenty minutes later he started doing the strange gulping thing more and more, his eyes got red and puffy and hives started to appear down the right side of his face!!! My poor little guy was coughing up a storm and gasping for air!! Ben and I were so panicked we didn't know what else to do but take him to the emergency room. So off we flew (I think it took about a minute and a half thanks to my husbands amazing skills behind the wheel) and I ran into see the triage nurse while Ben parked the car. By this time Cash was still coughing, gagging and red and puffy as could be. She immediately checked his oxygen to make sure he was getting what he needed while I tried to explain what had happened. She honestly seemed just as confused as I was because we both knew that rice cereal is supposed to be hypo- allergenic. Within about 10 minutes he was really starting to calm down and the redness was starting to slightly fade. We decided to hang around for a little while just to make sure he was coming out of it ok and after about 15 more minutes he was acting like himself again. We were so relieved! The nurse said to call the doctor in the morning to ask what we should do from here and to closely monitor him for the rest of the night. Well, he has been fine since then and the doctor seemed a little confused as well. I am taking him in next week so hopefully we will get some sort of answer as to what the heck happened to my poor little guy..... anyone ever had this happen with rice cereal before??? I'd be interested to know.... 

                                   The Cash man about 20 minutes before his big scare....

A little collage of photos from the past month or so :-)

6 comments:

Jesse and Kimmie said...

I'm so sorry that happened to the little man. I'm glad he is feeling better. This has not happened to Abby before, but I read on a few websites that this same thing happened to babies when they first started to eat it. It didn't show up right away, but after a few feedings, like Cash. The docs on these sites just recommended to wait a little while and try again. Or you could even try feeding him homemade rice and see how he reacts. Another thing I read is the brand name of rice cereal. A few blogs that I read, the babies were having a problem with Nestle rice cereal. I hope you have better luck with it! Love you guys!

dre said...

ANdreeeee! so scary! I am glad he is doing pheeenominal! I miss you and love you... and he is so big. and i love the plate and cookie jar you and ben made. so cute!!!!!!!!! =)

erica said...

oh man scary! i haven't fed ivy rice cereal yet...now im nervous to:) cute collage pictures! i haven't seen blaire or sara forever - fun that you got together!

Morgan said...

Poor little guy! Glad he got better, bummer though that you aren't sure what the heck was going on!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh poor cash!! And poor you guys! Did you ever find out anything else? Cute collage!

Amber said...

Hi friend!
Andree, that is so scary! poor little guy:( That is so sad. I hope you find the problem with that gay cereal. I probobly would have chocked too, I think that stuff smells so sick!

Miss you! Hope everything is going well for you and your little family!

LOve you xoxo

Love, Amee-pooh